Well, after a day off yesterday I’m back at it today. I’d like to tell you I’m running outside when I get home but the likelihood of that happening is slim to none. No, I’ll most likely be hitting the elliptical.
We are supposed to get snow Friday, for April Fool’s Day, fitting no?
this seriously throws a giant monkey wrench into my plans. The cold, cold air hurts my poor little asthmatic lungs which means running outside is no fun. 😦
BUT, lets not dwell, lets move on to yummier things.
Last night Matt & I made Chicken Fajitas! I’m sure you all know how to make those so I wont go into detail but I did make a new version of my Black Beans & Rice that were soo yummy, I have them today for lunch!
I usually make this with brown rice but last night as I forgot to start the rice sooner (brown rice takes 45 minutes) and we didn’t feel like waiting that long, I used white rice :O shocking I know.
Aside from that I did make a few other, seemingly bizarre changes but TRUST me on this, it was awesome! Super creamy and mellow and a little spicy and o so flavorful!
Creamy Black Beans & Rice
(With Guacamole & Cheese)
- 1 cup of white rice
- 2 cups of low sodium vegetable stock (I used slightly less than it called for because of all the moisture from the veggies)
- 1 can of black beans (rinsed with cold water and drained)
- 1 small or 1/2 large green pepper finely diced
- 1 large onion finely diced
- 1 small or 1/2 large red bell pepper finely diced
- 5 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 tbs. tomato paste
- 2 tbs. cumin
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. chipotle pepper (depending on preference)
- juice and zest from 1 lime
- salt & pepper
- olive oil
- (2 tsp. fajita seasoning, optional)
- 1/2 cup prepared guacamole (optional)
- 1 cup of shredded mixed cheddar cheese (optional)
- (but you really should add them because that’s what makes them creamy!)
Directions (or “destructions” as my Dad calls them. He’s so cute):
- start by heating a medium pot over medium/high heat. Add about a tablespoon of olive oil and heat.
- Add peppers, onions, garlic and some salt and saute until slightly brown, about 5 minutes.
- Next, add your rice, tomato paste and stock, stirring to combine and bring back to a boil.
- Add your spices, black beans and lime juice/zest, leaving out the guacamole and cheese. Season it to your own taste please but might I add the fajita season was a nice addition!
- Cover and turn heat to LOW, simmering according to directions, but about 20 minutes. All of the moisture should be absorbed and the rice should be tender, but not mushy.
- NOW things get bizarre; if you have some prepared guacamole as I did (2 avocados, lime juice and lime zest, cumin, chipotle, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder and minced red bell pepper and red onion), whether it be homemade or store bought, you go right ahead and mix it right in there! Even some diced plain avocado would be great. This adds so much creaminess it’s insane! Then, to up the ante, add some cheese. yup, so ahead. Stir, serve and let your eyes roll in the back of your head.
I know your looking at me strangely (through the computer), probably with your eyes narrowed. You don’t trust me, I get it but this was sooo amazingly complex and yummy and so creamy!
I had 1 fajita, discovered the ‘guacamole/cheese revelation’ and quickly abandoned the fajita and went back for more rice. Then again, I also have a slightly guacamole and cheese
obsession problem so that might have something to do with it.
I’m sorry I didn’t take a picture for you, I really am, it is a detriment to society. Perhaps I’ll load one later. I’m really very bad at remember to take/include pictures aren’t I?
IN CONCLUSION, you should make this. Make it as a main dish if you want, mix in some cooked chicken and call it dinner for all I care, but make it none the less. You will not be disappointed.
TRAINING & FOOD JOURNAL
TRAINING: week 3 of Couch to 5K plus lower body “weights”. I’d like to tell you this is going to take place outside, I would, but in all likelihood that is a falsified information..it’ll probably be done on the elliptical.
- BREAKFAST: 1/2 cup homemade granola with 1/2 cup Almond Milk (hoorah I went to the store yesterday! The truth is I rather prefer my granola in almond milk instead of regular milk)
- LUNCH: 1 1/2 cups of my fabulous Creamy Black Beans & Rice from last night.
- DINNER: I think we are having steakhouse salad wedges with crumbled bacon, blue cheese dressing and a peppered, hard-boiled egg…but I’m sure Matt will be adding something to this I don’t think it will cut it for him.