I’ve been slacking big time huh? Yeah. sorry about that. I’m still going through some major adjustments lossing that hour of sleep in the AM. It may not have bothered you a bit, but MAN am I feelin it.
No workout 2 days in a row! That’s bad, but I was a good girl and dragged my stiff body out of bed this AM for a nice trip on the elliptical. I need it and I feel better. 🙂 I may make it after all! Maybe it was bringing the dog for a nice walk last night that made the difference…or her acutally sleeping through the night without waking me up every hour on the hour like she did the night before. Who knows.
You will be surpised I’m sure when I tell you that Monday night, despite my claim that I could less about thanything that was not sleep, I made dinner. All I needed was a little inspiration.
A lady I work with was heating up some frozen diet meal of Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo while I picked at my oatmeal (I must say, I had NO idea that real oats puffed up that much when cooked the old fashioned way with some milk! No wonder there is so much fiber in them I was overwhelmed!). I said “I make something like that only it’s much better for you and it’s pretty light.” “Really!?” she said. “Yes,” I replied, “in fact, I think I’ll make it tonight.” BINGO!
Now this hardly consitutes an actual recipe and you will be floored when you see how I threw this together with a bunch of things I had on hand..or maybe you wont.
Although I would certainly suggest using real chicken breast, cutting it into chuncks (or you could grill a whole chicken breast with just some olive oil, salt and pepper. Ooo that would be good!) and simply sauteeing it seperatly first until done and then setting it aside, I used canned chicken. Yes thats right. So sue me! (so so suitoooo!) ehm, moving on. I love having canned, organic chicken breast around for emergencies. It’s better than take out people! I in fact found I was so happy about this dinner and it took such little effort that I was smiling while I cooked. Now watch this awesomeness!
Fast and Light Chicken & Broccoli Alfredo
you will need: (pardon the sketchy quantities)
- 1 bag of frozen broccoli florets
- 1/2 box of Barilla Plus (or other that you like) fettuccini (I used angle hair because it’s what I had)
- 1 large can of chicken breast drained or 1 lb fresh, cooked and set aside
- 1 large onion sauteed (optional)
- 2 cloves of garlic sauteed (optional)
- 1/2 (?) cup of low-fat milk
- 3 tbs. (?) flour
- 1/2-3/4 cup of low sodium chicken stock
- 3/4 -1 cup of neufchatel cheese (1/3 less fat cream cheese. same thing!)
- 1/2-1 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
*My level of laziness really showed with this one. I didn’t cut up any vegetables (onions or garlic) and saute them because I didn’t feel like dirtying a knife and cutting board. Pathetic I know. But by all means, go aheasd and do so. Just saute until soft and remove from the pan to be added back in. Same as if you are using actual raw chicken breast.
- Heat a large pot of salted water to a boil and add pasta. Cook according to package directions MINUS 1 MINUTE, strain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a large pan over medium heat.
- Add chicken broth and frozen broccoli. Cover and steam 3-4 minutes.
- In a tupperwear container (do people still say this? I do!) combine the milk and flour, cover and SHAKE!
- When the broccoli is just fork tender, add the chicken (and onions and garlic if you had them) and milk/flour mixture.
- Bring to a boil stirring often.
- Add in cream cheese and stir until it’s melted throughout.
- Add pasta and parmesan cheese and toss to coat.
- Serve immediatly. (sorry no photo 😦 )
This was pleasantly yummy and MUCH lighter than it’s heavy counterpart which, to be honest, I can’t really eat without feeling sick. Super fast, super easy and not to darn bad on the health spectrum.
Last night was Chroizo Salad with Soft Boiled Eggs which was the very first recipe I ever posted! Aww, memories.
Tonight is girls night at the movies for me so Matt is left to fend for himself and I’m thinking, MAYBE, possibly this saturday I’m having a belated impromptu St. Patrick’s Day party despite having not a drop of Irish blood. Matt is apartently making a SCOTTISH feast for St. Patrick’s Day because, you know, that makes total sense. I’m not about to discourage it.
If you don’t hear from me post-wise, Have a Happy St. Patty’s Day everyone, Irish and non Irish alike! (oh and try to take it easy on the drinking 😉 )
TRAINING & FOOD JOURNAL
TRAINING: 40 minutes on the elliptical. That’s all I could manage.
- BREAKFAST: an everything Thomas’ bagle with light cream cheese. I know, I know but I was in a hurry and out of everything else. THose do have a good amount of protein though!
- LUNCH: Leftover Chorizo and Soft Boiled Egg Salad (Mmm is it good) and some mango…because, you know, I’m clearly obsessed with mango.
- DINNER: I’m not entirly sure on this! Usually it’s Moe’s before the movie on girls night but tonight we are meeting there so maybe Qudoba will be a subsitute? There’s usually popcorn and candy involved in this as well…lots of it. You can see why I dragged myself out of bed for a workout this morning now can’t you 😉