Tonight, I teach my second cooking class ever. Seafood is my medium. 🙂
I taught my first class back in December, a collection of Hors D’Oeuvres and Appetizers just in time for the holiday season and it went very well! Tonight I’m trying to teach people not to fear seafood (hence the name of the class, “Don’t Fear The Seafood!”).
It always kind of baffles me, people’s fear of seafood.
They say they don’t like it. They say they will mess it up. Well if you grew up eating fish sticks I can see your disinterest in the matter. I however, grew up eating and adoring seafood…except clams. I do try very hard to like them but sometimes, it’s not worth the battle. It’s not a texture thing, I just don’t like the taste. But anyway, enough about me.
The thing that makes me the most sad about people’s unwillingness to cook seafood is that it has to be the easiest “fast food” available! And the taste? Really? Who can ignore the sweet buttery texture of a scallop? Or the mild, melt-in-your-mouthness of a filet of sole? Not this girl! It’s these thing above all else that sadden my greatly. I’m on a one woman mission to change this!
Tonight’s Menu consists of some of my favorite, quick, easy, scruptious dinners:
- 5 Minute Lemon Caper Fish (served with roasted asparagus and a packet of brown and wild rice this is my 15 minute dinner right here. In your face Rachel Ray!)
- Shrimp & Scallop Scampi with Roasted Red Peppers & White Wine (originally called “Lindsey’s Drunk Seafood Scampi” I thought it might be best to switch the name around a bit)
- Scallop Tortellini with Pesto & Sun-Dried Tomatoes (Sound familiar? Ehh? EHH?! follow the link and you will remember 😉 )
- Fresh Fish Tacos (these are a Matt masterpiece. They are miles away from the unhealthy orignal fish taco with fried fish, mayonnaise laden sauce and cabbage. These consist of grilled swordfish, soft corn tortillas, avocado, grilled onions and fresh parsley, all tops with a sauce made from light sour cream (or Chobani 0% ;)) , pureed chilies in adobo and lime juice. They are light, healthy and amazingly fresh. You eat one of these puppies and you’ll think I kidnapped you and took you someplace warm and possibly tropical…you’ll have to insert your own fantasy as I haven’t never been to any such place)
I may have a video for you this week…I may not. One of my “students” complied a lengthy video of my first class last time. I’m HIGHLY comical and because I believe in publicly humiliating myself, I have added it for your viewing pleasure. Hopefully the link doesn’t work. 😉
WHAT, pray tell, is a German Ravioli you ask? Why, its uhm, a ravioli that hails from Germany? Apparently Matt stumbled across this recipe in an issue of GQ or some other magazine at work. It said the monks made it to hide the fact that they were eating meat. Cleaver.
It was like a cross between an Italian ravioli and a Chinese dumpling as it’s cooked in beef broth and served with a small amount. He used our meat grinder attachment for the Kitchen Aid mixer and ground eye of the round from the other night and mixed it with onions, garlic, frozen spinach, turkey bacon, Dijon mustard, parsley anddd I think just mushy bread? Any who they were delicious and not like anything I had ever had! I could not put my finger on how to describe them!
He worked very hard on those little buggers and they came out excellent. Not sure they make sense as a week night usual suspect because it was time consuming but still, nice to know how to make! Good job Matty Poo! 🙂 (DISCLAIMER: I do not in fact EVER use this nickname for Matt. Not ever. I’m certain if I did I would be banned from the house..which makes it all the more fun to use on this blog 🙂 He’s more likely to be called “dude,” or “hey you” than Matty Poo…just so we are clear)
So In conclusion I hope you are intrigued by the delicious sounding recipes. If you pester me relentlessly (or simply ask politely) I will share them with you.
(Training & Food Journal Below)
TRAINING: Grrr >:-S nope! still sick!
- BREAKFAST: Chobani 2% Mango!!
- SNACK: 1 cup of fresh mango and red grapes (I heard somewhere that mango has more vitamin C than an orange…I also happen to LOVE them. Therefore the cold fighting power of vitamin C coupled with my profound love of the funky fruit yields a mango heavy day! :D)
- LUNCH: Peanut butter & Banana Sandwich…toasted. Yum!
- DINNER: a sampling of all of my seafood dishes!