I shall finally reveal the super secret squirrel recipe for my super AWESOME dinner; Scallop Tortellini with Pesto and Sun-Dried Tomatoes!!!!
Now, before you go “ehh, that doesn’t sound very good/exciting/super awesome, let me tell you, this recipe is THE trifecta:
- It’s elegant and impressive (meaning you can serve it others as an event so to speak and they will marvel at your awesomeness),
- it’s DELICIOUS, like insanely good,
- and best of all IT’S SOOOO EASYYY! I’m not kidding you, you will laugh when you realize how easy it is.
This is actually one of my staple meals believe it or not. I often have frozen bay scallops in my freezer, dried tri colored tortellini in my cabinet and jars of pesto and sun-dried tomatoes in my fridge, there isn’t much else to it.
It’s also relatively cheap. By using bay scallops (the little guys) instead of large scallops (which you can use if you prefer) you are saving loads of money. I can usually find them frozen for about $5-$7 a lb. Not bad.
I had Matt whip this together on Valentine’s Day. He had to solicit a tiny bit of help/instruction because as he says, this is MY thing. Like he doesn’t “let” me smoke things on the grill, I don’t usually let him make this. Trouble is it’s so darn simple there’s really no excuse…I gave him instructions while curled on the couch drinking wine and
trying not to drool flipping through the new William-Sonoma catalog.
Scallop Tortellini with Pesto & Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- 1 package dried, tri color cheese tortellini (or frozen if you can find it. You can use other cheese tortellini but the tri color gives great taste and great color)
- 1 lb bay scallops
- 1 small jar of sun-dried tomatoes packed in marinating oil (reserve some of the oil)
- 1/2-3/4 cup of FRESH pesto (I have the hook-up and therefore, have JARS of homemade pesto in my freezer. My parent’s grow a massive batch of basil in the garden every year and supply a friend with it. They get pesto in return. Find as fresh as possible, or use this recipe and make some yourself! When storing pesto, pour a layer of olive oil on top to seal it before putting in the fridge so it lasts longer)
- 5 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/3-1/2 cup dry white wine (like a chardonnay)
- 2 Tbs. butter
- salt & pepper
- parmesan cheese (optional)
(see? What did I tell you, easy recipe here!)
- Get a large pot of salted water on the stove to boil.
- rinse scallops with cold water and pat dry. If you are using bay scallops, you don’t NEED to remove the small “frill” which is what attaches the muscle to the shell and is very tough (I tried to find a picture for you to no avail). If you are using larger scallops, you definitely want to remove this with a small pairing knife. However, I’ve found with bay scallops, you can’t tell and it’s not worth the effort.
- Sprinkle scallops with salt & pepper on both sides.
- chop sun-dried tomatoes and mince garlic.
- cook tortellini according to package directions -1 minute. You want it to be slightly undercooked so that it soaks up the juicy sauce 😉
- While the tortellini is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- add sun-dried tomatoes with about 1-2 tbs. of the marinating oil from the jar. Warm through 1-2 minutes.
- Add butter and scallops. Saute, tossing occasionally for about 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute another 1 minute.
- Drain pasta.
- Add white wine to pan to de-glaze, cook down for 2 minutes.
- Add pesto and pasta and toss to combine, cooking for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve immediately and top with parmesan cheese.
- YES, it really is that easy. You hardly have to do anything!
I hope you make this. Not only do I hope you make it, but I hope you add it into your weekly rotation and in doing so, giggle a little at how ridiculously easy this is. So little effort for something so spectacular!
TRAINING: gentle yoga if anything. I’m not feeling so hot today. I slept, not the best last night.
- BREAKFAST: 8 oz. Odwalla Super Foods smoothie (skipping the multi vitamin today!)
- LUNCH #1: (because yesterday was 2 breakfasts, today why not 2 lunches?!) left over greek salad from last night (I am TOTALLY not suppose to be eating all this crunchy yumminess but I cut it up REALLY tiny I promise. This poor girl hasn’t had a salad in TWO WHOLE WEEKS, I needed one!)
- LUNCH #2: leftover Scallop Tortellini with Pesto & Sun-Dried Tomatoes (tiny portion…probably a cup or so)
- DINNER: ? I’m playing the wild card again. Last night we got take-out (shocking I know) because I really wanted eggplant parm and greek salad. Tonight, SUPPOSEDLY Matt will be making my Valentine’s Meal but if he dosen’t…I’m making soft tacos instead! 😉